Feedback, Questions, Suggestions

Coordinator
May 11, 2007 at 8:58 AM
Hi there
Please, feel free to share your feedback, suggestions and ask questions.
May 15, 2007 at 10:17 PM
Hi Velio, I'm very interested in using this, but the question is how? I'm faced with a scenario where the hosting company doesn't provide ASPNETDB for the member authentication, I'm thinking this is an XML solution to this problem, correct? Can you provide a small example of how to use this, how to add users, roles, etc..

Also I think their is a similar project called XMLProviders, but again no samples or quick starts to get'cha going.

Thanks a million in advance,
Josh Crosby
Coordinator
May 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM
Edited May 16, 2007 at 12:38 PM
Hi Josh,
I have added an additional section on the home page of the AspNet Xml Providers project (http://www.codeplex.com/aspnetxmlproviders) about how to use AspNet Xml Providers on a web application.
If any questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Enjoy,
Velio Ivanov
Jan 3, 2008 at 7:50 AM
Hi,
is it possible to change the default name and the default folder (App_Data) of the users.config file?
lacow
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2008 at 9:22 AM
Edited Jan 3, 2008 at 9:23 AM
Yes, it is possible to change the default name of the files for all XML Providers.
You just have to add the attribute 'fileName' with value to the provider's config element.
Here below are examples of how to do that for all providers:
  • XmlRoleProvider
<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="XmlRoleProvider">
    <providers>
	<clear/>
	<add applicationName="YOUR_APP" fileName="Roles.xml" name="XmlRoleProvider" type="Artem.Web.Security.XmlRoleProvider" />
    </providers>
</roleManager>
  • XmlMembershipProvider
<membership defaultProvider="XmlMembershipProvider">
    <providers>
	<clear/>
	<add applicationName="YOUR_APP" fileName="Users.xml" name="XmlMembershipProvider" type="Artem.Web.Security.XmlMembershipProvider"
minRequiredPasswordLength="1" minRequiredNonAlphanumericCharacters="0" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" requiresUniqueEmail="false" 
passwordFormat="Hashed"/>
    </providers>
</membership>
  • XmlProfileProvider
<profile enabled="true" defaultProvider="XmlProfileProvider">
    <providers>
	<clear/>
	<add applicationName="YOUR_APP" fileName="Profiles.xml" name="XmlProfileProvider" type="Artem.Web.Security.XmlProfileProvider"/>
    </providers>
</profile>

In the examples here I have just changed the files' extensions form 'config' to 'xml'.
You can change the names to any you want.

I see, I have forgot to mantion that in How To Setup pages, and will fix that ASAP.

However, I have not implemented a way to change the default folder (App_Data) for now, but that could be done/fixed.
If you are interested in that, please add it as working item in issue tracker and will do it.

Regards,
Velio
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM
Hi Velio,
This looks like a great project. Not sure if you've picked this up but I notice that if you specify the initialRole attribute in the web.config but don't include a <roles> provider section, your development web server will crash inexplicably. Would be good if this was handled more gracefully.
Also the initialUser and initialPassword attributes don't seem to be working for me. Do I need to encrypt the initialPassword attribute to match the provider encryption setting?
Cheers
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.